Friday, March 16, 2012

God is Amazing - Transfer Day

What an amazing gift God has given us. Meet the babies. This is their first picture :-)


God is amazing. Our day started out nice and early. We met up with Lori, Ryan and their kids at my mother in laws house. She and my sister in law, Ab, were going to be watching Lori's kids, my son, and Ab's 2 girls for the day. We were all sporting our green attire, looking adorable and lucky. After a quick breakfast, we (Lori & Ryan, Joe & I) were on our way downtown Chicago for the transfer. We made pretty good time; we needed to be checked in at River North clinic at 10:20 am. We arrived, signed in, and waited. Waited, and some more waiting. They finally checked us in to our room at 11:20 or so, when our original transfer time was at 11:20. So an hour behind schedule. That's what the surrogacy life is all about - hurry up and wait. The 4 of us were in the room, when the embryologist came in. Both our embryos survived the thaw (yay!) and were both 6 day grade AB embryos. Then a nurse came in, checked Lori in and had her get undressed for the transfer. Then, because it wouldn't be normal not to have a little drama thrown into the mix, some random nurse came in to start up trouble and stated that only ONE person would be allowed to stay in the room during the transfer. Well, that wasn't what we were expecting, especially because during previous phone conversations with the IVF head nurse, she had specifically asked that both my husband and I be there as well as Lori's husband. So I'm not quite sure what the issue was now that they were only allowing only one person in the room. To say the least, we were all pretty bummed. It was such an amazing gift to watch the whole transfer. I had been in the room last time when they implanted Clark, and Joe wasn't allowed to be in the room due to the previous gestational carrier's request. So I knew I wanted him to be in there to see it this time. I also wanted Ryan in there because, for one, he's Lori's husband, and secondly, because what an amazing gift from God to watch this happen. I tried speaking with several different people, including the doctor, without success. They actually suggested Joe to not be in the room - why? - I'm not sure. Finally, we had a wonderful nurse who said as long as Joe kind of hid behind door, it would be okay. So the only sadness was that Ryan left the room. I was willing to have him and Joe in the room, but he was willing to sacrifice being there as they are Joe and my babies. God bless him. What an awesome man Ryan is. So he left to go sit in the waiting room. The ultrasound tech came in and started to prep everything. She was amazing. I couldn't have asked for a sweeter, bubbly tech. She showed us everything and told us all about Lori's uterus, etc. I'm fairly certain she was the ultrasound tech who was there for Clark's implantation. Love her. Lori's uterus looked (according to her) awesome, a perfect home for our babies. They were (are) in the best room in the place, the penthouse, with strawberries and champagne enjoying the sweet life for the next 9 months! <3 After that, it was show time. The doctor came in and we were ready. They showed us our babies on the big screen tv. They looked sweet. The doctor commented on how one of the embryos looked as though it was never frozen, so that is a good sign (fingers crossed). I think they both looked great. They then put them in a catheter and brought them into the room. Within a few minutes, we watched them be carefully placed into Lori's uterus, and their home for the next nine months until they are ready to join us on the outside. The ultrasound tech took a keepsake picture of the twins for us to stare at for the rest of day :-) The time stamp on the picture was 11:11:04. What an awesome, lucky number. She hadn't changed the time on the machine yet, so in reality it was 12:11:04 which 12/11 is my son's birthday! So even more awesome double numbers. And with that, we were done. Lori and I stayed in the room for about 20 minutes just beaming and dreaming of the future of these new babies. I am so thankful to have gone through that with her and with Ryan. Everytime I think of them, I know God is smiling down on us. He made this possible. He brought us together to be a perfect match together. I thank God for Lori all the time. She is just so special to me. I cannot imagine my life without her and her wonderful family. She is going to be (and already is!) such an awesome protector of the God's precious gifts to Joe, Clark & I. 
The rest of the day was just as perfect. We got home and the kids had a wonderful time together. What a cute bunch! Here's a few pictures of the group. 
 Big brother ??

 How cute is she!?

 Morning of transfer

 Time to swim!

 Mr. Popular

And now we wait to start poas and seeing some BIG FAT POSITIVES!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment