Tuesday, March 6, 2012

It's almost here...


The month is finally here! I cannot believe that a few short months ago, we were starting out on our contracts, then Lori started Lupron and Estrace patches, and of course, who could forget a few bumps along the way. Now, today Lori goes for her last ultrasound appointment to check her lining one last time before the *BIG TRANSFER* day!  I can speak for both of us that we are so thankful to be so close to a new starting line, that we can taste it. What an ordeal that contract phase was. I do not miss speaking with my lawyer in the tiniest bit. I ended up dubbing my lawyer as Debbie, as in Debbie Downer, because she always seemed to bring me terrible news every time I talk to her. 
Just recently, I've been struggling with whether or not my husband and I should purchase a "back up" insurance policy in the event that Lori's insurance decides not to cover the expenses for the pregnancy. Little bit of a back story: Lori's husband's insurance had a clear cut surrogacy exclusion that was somehow missed by the agency when they were going over Lori's information. We did not find this out until my lawyer was drafting our contract. It was a HUGE blessing in disguise. At the moment, it seemed like a catastrophic error on the agency's part, but if they had found out about the exclusion, Lori & I would never had met and we wouldn't be SIX days away from transfer. So Lori found out that her work had open enrollment coming up April 1st. Another blessing from God. He really works in awesome ways. So our insurance problems were answered. My lawyer, however, just was not comfortable with the wording Lori's upcoming insurance policy had. The agency, Lori, and I all felt the wording was pretty straight forward. Debbie said she would feel more comfortable getting written clarity from the insurance. Well, that is a pretty difficult task. What insurance company is going to agree to something in advance? Well, by the grace of God we got not only written confirmation, but verbal confirmation also. Was that good enough to make Debbie feel comfortable proceeding? UH, no. Yeah, very frustrating and ridiculous. I know she is just doing her job and watching our for Joe and my best interests, but this was too much for me. I just have faith that God will remain faithful to us. He, after all, brought Lori and I together. If He could do that, He can do anything. 
I am struggling with the potential unknown, what-if the insurance decides not to cover anything. Even though they don't have any flat out clear exclusions of surrogate pregnancy, that doesn't mean that they can't change their mind and force us to pay out of pocket. The back up plan policy is a reasonable upfront fee that needs to be put into place before transfer. So that means I have 6 more days to make a decision. Have I mentioned I am just awful with making decisions? Well I really am. The back up plan protects us in the case that the insurance, at any time during or within 18 months after delivery, decides not to cover any maternity bills. If that turns out to be the case, we'd have to pay a substantial amount of money then so we'd have insurance coverage. My dilemma. Why spend the money when we have a fairly confident chance that Lori's new insurance will cover the pregnancy. But then the little voice in my head saying 'but what if...?" So that's where I am at right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment